UGK Community First
A Feeding Ministry in the Diocese of Virginia
The UGK Community First Project - a partnership between Underground Kitchen and the churches of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia - was born in March 2020 in response to the food crisis brought about by COVID19. Since March, UGK Community First has provided tens of thousands of meals to Richmond area residents, a feat made possible by the Episcopal churches that have opened their kitchens to these chefs. Approximately 2,000 meals are being produced each week. The following opportunities are available to your churches to participate in this program.
Ways You and Your Church Can Join UGK Community First
- Food Pantries: We are already providing soups to several food pantries and would like to add yours to the list. If you would like to receive soups for distribution at your food pantry please send the following information to Barbara Ambrose at email@example.com
- Home Delivery: Do you know someone who would benefit from receiving a meal of homemade soup, fresh baked bread, and tea three time a week? This is particularly helpful for people who must quarantine at home, first responders, medical providers, individuals and their families in town for medical treatment. To learn more or to sign up for this free service go to this link: https://theundergroundkitchen.org/sign-up-for-soup/
- Volunteer Opportunities: This program has grown so quickly that we are now in need of volunteers to scoop soup into containers, package meals, transport meals to agencies (you stay in the car, someone from the agency comes to your vehicle and takes the building) . Food preparation and packaging takes place at Roslyn. Shifts and teams of volunteers are limited to 2-4 and take place 9:00-12:00 or 2:00-4:00 Monday through Friday. Deliveries take place in the afternoon, but there are some morning routes. To sign up or learn more about volunteering email Barbara Ambrose, Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, email and phone.
- Cards and Notes: Recipients of these meals enjoy receiving a card or note included in their package. These can be on note cards, and can be a prayer, inspirational saying, scripture or even a picture or drawing. This is a great project for children and adults alike! You can send these to UGK Community First, 18 Charnwood Road, Henrico, VA
- Donations: We are grateful for the generous financial support we have already received from churches in our Diocese as well as the many corporate sponsors who have contributed to this outstanding project. UGK Community First Project continues to grow and expand in our vision to provide healthy, wholesome food to our neighbors experiencing food insecurity, and this is made possible through continued financial donations. We are also grateful for the gifts of fresh produce that we have received from community gardens and local farms. Click here to make a donation http://www.ugkcommunityfirst.org/donations or you can mail donations to UGK Community First, 18 Charnwood Road, Henrico, VA.