The Path to Priesthood
A priest is an ordained leader who is called to serve a community as pastor, worship leader and teacher, and to take a share in the councils of the Church. A priest proclaims by word and deed the Gospel of Jesus Christ, cares alike for young and old, strong and weak, rich and poor, preaches, declares God’s forgiveness, pronounces God’s blessing, and shares in the administration of Holy Baptism and Holy Eucharist. (BCP pg. 531)
- Read Paths to Discipleship, an outline of discernment and formation in the Diocese of Virginia.
Applying for Postulancy
Before applying for postulancy, seekers in the Diocese of Virginia spend time in community discerning what God is calling them to and how they might best answer that call. Information on vocational discernment.
Once the seeker's parish discernment committee completes its work, the seeker may begin applying for postulancy with the support of his/her presenting priest. The presenting priest should email Ed Keithly and Vicky Bickel to request a contact from the Committee on Priesthood. The contact will assist the seeker in applying for postulancy.
Postulancy Interview Dates
Aspirants will be scheduled for an interview after the aspirant's contact to the Committee on Priesthood affirms the aspirant is ready to go forward.
- Friday, January 26, 2018 @ Mayo House, Richmond
- Complete applications due Dec. 27. See checklist below.
- Friday, March 9, 2018 - second postulancy interview set @ Mayo House, Richmond
- Complete applications due Feb. 9. See checklist below.
- Friday, March 23, 2018 - third postulancy interview set @ Mayo House, Richmond
- Complete applications due Feb. 23. See checklist below.
Postulancy Application Materials
- Postulancy Application Checklist
- Initial Application to Commission on Ministry
- Personal History & Reflections
- Background Check Instructions
- Medical Examination Form
- Psychological Evaluation Cover Letter