Syrian Refugee Crisis
The Office of Mission and Outreach has received a large number of inquiries on how to support and respond the current Syrian refugee crisis. Please find below a number of links to resources and information regarding current efforts within The Episcopal Church.
Resources and Information:
- Be a voice of welcome and stand up for refugee resettlement by sending a sample letter to your elected officials.
- Give to the United Thank Offering challenge to support Episcopal Migration Ministries during this critical time. Click here to donate online; select "UTO for EMM" challenge in the drop-down menu to ensure your donation is matched, dollar for dollar! To donate by mail, send your check to:
United Thank Offering
The Episcopal Church
815 Second Avenue
New York City, New York 10017
Memo line notation: UTO-EMM Challenge
- Share information with your congregations through this church bulletin insert.
- Call your Representative and Senators
As Congress is working on a funding bill that they must pass by December 18th to keep the government open, make your voice heard NOW! Tell Congress to say NO to any policy riders that would stop, pause or defund the resettlement of Syrian refugees.
Dial 1-866-961-4293. Use the sample script below to voice your support for refugee resettlement:
Sample script: “I’m a constituent from [City] and I support Syrian refugees. I am opposed to any bill or provision in the upcoming funding bill that would stop or halt the resettlement of refugees based on their nationality or religion. I urge the Senator / Representative / Governor to represent me and other constituents who seek to welcome Syrian refugees.”
- Engage Online
Tweet at your elected officials. Find a list of the Twitter handles of your Members of Congress here. Then use the sample tweet below to show that you are a part of a welcoming community:
“.@REPRESENTATIVE or @SENATOR or @GOVERNOR, Our community is ready to welcome #Syrian #refugees. #RefugeesWelcome #AmericaWelcomes!"
Follow @EMMRefugees and @TheEPPN to stay up to date on this issue.
- The Episcopal Migration Ministries November 23 "Rapid Response Webinar: Syrian Refugees" Content
Resources Mentioned in the Webinar
- October 15 Webinar, "Mission and Advocacy to Support Refugees" On-Demand Video, Audio, Slideshow. Note: "Mission and Advocacy to Support Refugees" provides a thorough, comprehensive overview of the global refugee crisis, domestic resettlement, advocacy, and ways to be involved with Episcopal Migration Ministries or with refugee resettlement locally. We highly encourage you to view it as a primer and/or supplement to the November 19 webinar.
- Refugee Backgrounder
- How You Can Help
- Episcopal Migration Ministries' Prayer for Syria
- Prayers of the People for Refugees and Displaced People
- USCRI Fact Sheet on Security Screenings for Syrians, Infographic with In-Depth Explanation of Security Screening, Detailed Security Screening Infographic - demonstrates how many refugees must "go back" and repeat the process again, in part or in whole, if their security clearance validity expires
If you would like to receive "10 Best Practices for Congregations Engaging in Refugee Resettlement Ministry," "Gifts Discernment," and "Checklist for Congregations," please email Allison Duvall, firstname.lastname@example.org, with your name, the congregation you represent, and your diocese.
- Prayers for Syria from the Church of England
- Episcopal Relief and Development Syria Response Updates
- Read the Presiding Bishop Michael Curry’s full message on welcoming the stranger.
- Episcopal bishops across the country have spoken out in support of refugees. Find a list of all statements and messages here.
- Watch and share the Rt. Rev. Susan E. Goff’s, Bishop Suffragan, message: Letting go of fear in the midst of the Syrian refugee crisis.
- Episcopal News Service reporting on the refugee crisis
If you are interested in learning more and receiving updates from the The Office of Mission and Outreach please contact Buck Blanchard, Director, Mission and Outreach, at email@example.com or (804) 643-8451 x1016, or Mary Anne Bryant, Assistant, Mission and Outreach, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 643-8451 x1017.