Other Central and South American Ministries
The Diocese of Virginia as well as its churches and parishioners have relationships throughout the Anglican Communion. In some places the DOV is exploring new ministries and in others there are long standing relationships. Below are areas in Central and South America where the DOV, churches and parishioners continue to nurture and grow partnerships.
- Grace & Holy Trinity, Richmond, 2008 – Present, parishioners support an ongoing relationship with the Anglican Church by providing an art, music and sports camp, vacation bible school and by supporting construction projects.
- St. Matthew’s, Sterling, 2007 - 2008, assisted Praying Pelican Missions by constructing Sunday School and Preschool rooms and organizing Vacation Bible School for children in the community in Corozal, Belize.
The Diocese of Virginia is nurturing its relationship with the Province of Brazil after visiting in 2012. In October 2013, Buck Blanchard and Amy Williams visited the Diocese of Rio de Janeiro and Bishop Dom Filadelfo Oliveira, learning about the ministries of the diocese and making connections with parishes around the region.
- St. James’, Leesburg, 2012 - Present, parishioners work with Project Abraham to provide an English language program for at-risk or abandoned children. As well, they helped with a construction project on the site.
Pictures from Project Abraham, St. James', Leesburg.
- St. Anne’s, Reston, 2013 - present, the Rev. Jim Papile and parishioners participated in an exploratory mission trip in April 2013 to meet with clergy of the Episcopal Church of Cuba and learn how St. Anne's might offer assistance. Going forward, the congregation is looking to partner with a faith community for mission and outreach work to include construction and work with a youth ministry camp.
- St. Barnabas’, Annandale, 2011, parishioner Len Leroy led an exploratory mission trip to visit Bishop Griselda.
- St. James’s, Richmond, 2013, a group led by the Rev. Carmen Germino, in partnership with Beth Ahabah Synagogue, participated in a joint, interfaith trip focusing on volunteering and spiritual dialogue.
- The Diocese of Virginia is building a relationship with Foundation Cristosal, a faith-based human rights and community development organization in San Salvador.
- Leeds Church, Markham, 2010-Present, supports the work of missionary Greg Lowden with the initiative Resplandece, which builds sustainable alternatives for at-risk youth in Guatemala City.
- St. Peter’s, Purcellville, 2011 - Present, parishioners worked with missioners at Redeemer House by providing reading glasses, an eye clinic, youth work, simple construction and Bible studies.
- Christ Church, Charlottesville, 2010, took a youth mission trip to grow a relationship with the Anglican Communion in Jamaica.
- Christ Church, Charlottesville, 2012, visited the Yucatan Peninsula to attend Youth Conference Ministries' Son Servants.
- St. John's, McLean, 2014-Present, supports a women-run bakery in the Episcopal Diocese of Southeastern Mexico through their annual Millenium Development Goals Gifts for Life Fair.
- Christ Church, Charlottesville, 2009, worked with local youth sponsored by the Covenant School.
- Church of Our Saviour, Charlottesville, 2007-2009, visited to build relationships with iglesia San Mateo in the Diocese of Panama.
- Grace & Holy Trinity, Richmond, 2008, organized a Vacational Bible School and assisted in a construction project.
- St. Mark’s, Alexandria and All Saints-Sharon Chapel, Alexandria, 2011, worked with Group Cares.
- St. Peter’s Parish, New Kent, 2011, visited Arecibo to work with children’s programs, elderly centers, soup kitchens and homeless shelters.
Mission Opportunities and Partner Organizations
- Abraham Project in Costa Rica
- Episcopal Relief & Development in Brazil
- Episcopal Relief & Development in El Salvador
- Episcopal Relief & Development in Guatemala
- Episcopal Relief & Development in Mexico
- Episcopal Relief & Development in Nicaragua
- Foundation Cristosal in El Salvador
- Group Cares in Puerto Rico
- Praying Pelican Missions in Belize
- Redeemer's Housein Guatemala
- Resplandece Iniciativa in Guatemala
- Youth Conference Ministries' Son Servants
Relationships in the Anglican Communion
- Anglican Diocese of Belize
- Anglican Diocese of El Salvador
- Anglican Diocese of Jamaica and the Cayman Islands
- Diocese of Panama
- Diocese of Rio de Janeiro
- Episcopal Church of Costa Rica
- Episcopal Church of Cuba
- Episcopal Church of Guatemala
- Episcopal Church of Puerto Rico
- Province of Brazil
Tell Us More
Are you interested in getting involved with our ministries in Central and South America? Do you have an existing ministry or connection? Send your comments to Buck Blanchard.