Democratic Republic of the Congo Ministry
“The women of the Diocese of Virginia stand in partnership with the women of the Diocese of Bukavu, Congo in a partnership of hope, empowerment, shared prayer and resources.”
The Diocese of Virginia is forming a women-to-women ministry between the women of the Diocese of Virginia and the Mothers’ Union of the Diocese of Bukavu in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Mothers’ Union of the Diocese of Bukavu is responding the gender-based violence in the region through vocational and literacy training, support, love and frienship.
The Diocese of Virginia visited the Dioceses of Boga, North Kivu, Bukavu and Kisangani in February 2010. In May 2012, three representatives of the diocese visited the Dioceses of Bukavu and Katanga to continue forming deep, valuable relationships.
The women-to-women ministry is looking for women all around the Diocese to help spread the word and gain support for the wonderful work being done by the Anglican Church in one of the most dangerous parts of the world.
Watch the video of pictures from the May 2012 trip:
- Read the Summer 2012 issue of The Virginia Episcopalian for an article about the trip to the Diocese of Bukavu (Page 24).
- Diocese of Bukavu Information
- Report from the Diocese of Bukavu, October 22, 2012
- Report from the Diocese of Bukavu, February 26, 2013
- Walking in Two Worlds: Bishop Katharine and the Office of Indigenous Ministries at the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues
- Episcopal News Service, “Bishop calls attention to humanitarian crisis in Congo”, September 21, 2012
- The New York Times, “Troops Mass in Fought-Over City, Raising Fear of New Violence in Congo”, December 16, 2012
- The New York Times, “The World’s Worst War”, December 16, 2012
- The New York Times, “Rebels Pull Out of Strategic City in Congo”, December 1, 2012
- The New York Times, “To Save Congo, Let It Fall Apart”, November 30, 2012
- The New York Times, “Rebel leaders in Congo Sending Mixed Signals on Pullout from Goma”, November 27, 2012
- The New York Times, “Congo Rebels, After Victory, Vow to Take the Capital”, November 21, 2012
- The New York Times, “Congo Rebels Seize Provincial Capital”, November 20, 2012
- Episcopal News Service, “Prayers Urged for the Democratic Republic of Congo”, November 19, 2012
- Falling Whistles - A Campaign for Peace in the Congo
- Heal Africa
- Eastern Congo
- Women for Women: Global Initiatives Helping Women
- Episcopal Church: Office of Global Partnerships
- The Episcopal Church: Partnership Office for Africa
- City of Joy
- The Department of State: Office of Global Women's Issues
- A New Start for Women of the Democratic Republic of Congo