Stewardship & Gratitude
Church Vitality and Stewardship Day
The 2017 annual stewardship workshop series is expanding! Bring your entire leadership team for time with our bishops and workshops on missions and outreach, communications, Christian formation, planned giving, and our new “All Hearts Open” annual giving program.
The days will open with remarks by our bishops, then be followed by vibrant workshops and roundtables. These conversations are designed to offer rich resources that lead to more engaged congregational life across all ministries.
Mark your calendars now for:
Saturday, May 13, 9:30 – 3:00
with Bishop Susan E. Goff
@ Epiphany Episcopal Church | Oak Hill
Registration for May 13
- Click here, if you would like to pay with a credit card.
- Click here, if you would like to pay with a check.
Saturday, June 3, 9:30 – 3:00
with Bishop Shannon S. Johnston
@ All Saints | Richmond
Registration for June 3
- Click here, if you would like to pay with a credit card
- Click here,if you would like to pay with a check.
As another benefit to these full-day workshops, you will have the opportunity to connect with lay leaders from every corner of the Diocese of Virginia and with diocesan staff members from each ministry office.
Each workshop day will include a working lunch. Registration will open March 23, and is $35 per person or $70 per church up to three participants. Scholarships are available. For additional information
- e-mail Julie Simonton, officer for congregational development and stewardship at email@example.com, or
- call 1-800-DIOCESE, x 1035
If you would like a portion of this program to come to your region or your church, please contact Julie to schedule an individual workshop.
Is your church preparing for your fall annual giving program?
“Walk in Love” is an annual giving program offered by the Diocese of Virginia Stewardship Committee that focuses on proportional giving and highlights ministries across our Diocese. This year we are excited to provide our first comprehensive set of resources composed to connect individuals more closely to congregations – and to connect congregations more deeply to one one another, whether around the corner or on the other side of the Commonwealth.
+ A video from Bishop Shannon offering his own story of proportional giving, which may surprise you! Use this video to begin a Sunday forum, to highlight your fall campaign on your website, or to inspire stories of generosity within your church.
+ Gospel reflections written by Episcopalians from across the Diocese of Virginia for each Sunday during your fall campaign.
+ Resources for children and stewardship.
+ Sample calendars, logos, pledge letters, encouragement letters, thank you notes, and much, much more!
Resources from The Episcopal Network for Stewardship are also available for churches in the Diocese of Virginia. For free access to their annual giving program, click here. If you were unable to attend a stewardship workshop so far and would like to host a “Walk in Love” annual giving workshop at your church:
+ e-mail Julie Simonton, officer for congregational development and stewardship at firstname.lastname@example.org, or
+ call 1-800-DIOCESE
Because we come to the Table and are fed through Jesus Christ, we are able to go out into the world and do the work God calls us to do. The Diocese of Virginia Stewardship Committee is excited to share our “Walk in Love” program, and we are excited to hear how your church walks in the love of Jesus Christ this year! Share your stories with us by calling, e-mailing, or inviting us to visit. We look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of the Diocese of Virginia Stewardship Committee
Officer for Congregational Development and Stewardship
Fall Annual Giving Program
- Program Overview
- Table of Contents
- Suggested Calendar
- Walk in Love logos
- Bishop Shannon Proportional Giving Video
- Video Questions for Conversation
- Walk in Love pledge card
- Proportional Giving Chart
- Prayers of the People
- Blessing of pledge cards
- Book club
- Stewardship with Children
- Children's pledge card
- Pledge analysis
- Your Church and Year-End Giving
- Walk In Love Poster Request Form
- Walk In Love Video Request Form
- Social Media Strategies for Your Annual Giving Campaign:Give new life to your annual giving campaign by connecting your message through a variety of social media channels. We’ll look at demographics of social media platforms, easy ways to interact online and how to build an editorial calendar.
- Start the Story: People give to organization because they are connected. They believe in the mission, they trust the leadership, and they know their money will be stewarded well. But how do we effectively tell the stories of our churches and ministries in a way that is clear and compelling? People no long give to churches because that’s just what you do – they give because their money has impact. Come to learn how to communicate that impact and – in the process – impact the overall vibrancy of your church.
- Narrative Budget Presentation
- Church of Our Saviour Narrative Budget 2013
- St. Stephen's, Culpeper, Narrative Budget
- St. Christopher's, Springfield, Narrative Budget 2015
- St. Christopher's, Springfield, Annual Giving Brochure 2013
- St. Christopher's, Springfield, Brochure 2014
- Template without text
- Template with text
- Planning Planned Giving:A robust planned giving ministry empowers churches for their mission and ministry. In spring 2016, the Diocese of Virginia is launching a planned gifts ministry to help each church establish a vibrant, active and successful planned giving program. In cooperation with Episcopal Church Foundation, this program will assist you in education, planning, resources, and gift administration. Come and discover new resources!
- Let the Conversation Begin! How to Talk about Proportional Giving:“A checkbook is a theological document; it will tell who and what you worship.” (Billy Graham) The church is not just another non-profit. The church – and God! – are where generosity begins, because the church is where we are called to return to God a portion of what God has given us. Come to discuss how to begin the proportional giving conversation, and then how to keep the conversation going.
Connected in the Kingdom: There are many members, yet one body. I Corinthians 12:20
“Urgently relevant” – that’s how Bishop Shannon Johnston describes the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia. Over 80,000 strong, we are a “breathing reality for Jesus in this world.”
See for yourself!
In our new video, we’ve captured the transformational work we are doing together, as we live into our stewardship theme of “Connected in the Kingdom.” We invite you to play the video for your vestries, congregations and neighbors. Help us make new “connections” as we spread the word about mission and ministry.
This video was created to stream easily in locations with Wi-Fi. We are also glad to mail a DVD to your congregation or home. Please complete a DVD request below, or call 800-DIOCESE for a copy.