EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF VIRGINIA
ABOUT THE DIOCESE
The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia (DOV), the largest diocese in The Episcopal Church, is a community of more than 80,000 baptized members and 400+ clergy, serving the world through 181 congregations, six schools, two diocesan centers and six diocesan homes. The DOV is also home to the largest Anglican seminary in the world, the Virginia Theological Seminary. The diocesan offices enable Bishop Shannon S. Johnston to support the Diocese in areas including Transition Ministry, Christian Formation, Stewardship, Mission and Outreach, Race and Reconciliation, Governance, and Finance. The Bishop’s office is a great place to work that values camaraderie, collaboration, and coming together to learn, worship and have fun. Applicants don’t need to be Episcopalians, but should enjoy working in a distinctly Christian work environment.
The DOV Communications Office is in transition with a focus on strategic communications, elevating organizational communications and external communications with a keen eye on effective results. The DOV has an immediate, full-time, opening for an Officer, Communications who will serve as a brand ambassador, managing traditional and digital communications platforms for internal and external audiences. The Officer, Communications will work closely with the Director, Communications to develop and implement communications strategies that connect with audiences to advance the DOV vision, mission and priority ministries. The candidate will be an insightful, enthusiastic, self-starter who is creative, highly organized, and adept at multi-tasking and meeting deadlines. This is a unique opportunity for a forward-thinking practitioner who has the experience and operational skills to enhance brand awareness and drive results. The position is located in Richmond, Va. and requires the selected candidate for hire to be located in Richmond.
- Works closely with Director, Communications to support effective development and implementation of DOV strategic communications plan, crisis communications plan and media relations strategy
- Provides a variety of internal and external public relations and communications collateral across traditional, digital and social media, e.g., outlines, presentations, news releases, video scripts, web content, e-news, blogs, print publications, media pitches, talking points, message maps, FAQs, etc.
- Produces monthly and bi-weekly e-newsletters for specific audiences using Constant Contact or other email marketing tools
- Provides communications support for internal customers and serves as resource for church communicators
- Leads DOV’s social media strategy, developing integrated digital and social media campaigns and maintaining editorial calendar to frequently generate, publish and share content
- Reviews and analyzes social media and digital efforts and provides analytics reports, while continually developing tactics to increase engagement
- Manages website, including creating, editing, posting and updating content, providing design, and leading its overall maintenance, using SEO skills to create pages and content to attract target audience
- Conducts thorough and reliable research in a timely fashion to help inform communications strategies and tactics
- BA/BS degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, or equivalent area
- Minimum 5 years communications or PR experience in a business, media or non-profit environment
- Superior understanding, skill and use of social media and digital space, trends and analytics platforms, including FB, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Wordpress
- Demonstrated use of Constant Contact for publications
- Demonstrated use ofweb site content development and management systems
- Expertise in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Meticulous attention to accuracy and detail
- Goal-oriented and deadline-driven
- Excellent interpersonal and interviewing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, as well as proofreading ability and use of AP Stylebook
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure, maintaining good judgment and escalating PR issues appropriately
- Ability to work independently and as a team player while nurturing relationship building within and outside our Richmond office
- Seven+ years of PR or Communications experience
- Strong visual design sense, with bias toward modern aesthetic
- A genuine curiosity and knowledge of the Episcopal Church
The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The DOV is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified candidates please submit a PDF of your cover letter, resume, references, and two writing samples to: Ed Jones, secretary and chief of staff, email@example.com. We will receive applications through Feb. 28, 2017.
If you have applied for a DOV communications position in the past six months, it isn’t necessary to re-apply. We’ll contact you if there is a good match for this position. We appreciate your interest in this role and the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia.