Commission on Ministry 2019 Retreat
Shrine Mont, October 20-21 (Sunday & Monday)
Please register below.
- 4:00 p.m. Sunday: Registration opens (Virginia House Lobby)
- 5:30 p.m. Sunday: Retreat begins with dinner (Virginia House, 2nd Floor)
- 6:45 p.m. Sunday: Program begins (Hall House A, #15 on this map)
- 4:00 p.m. Monday: Retreat concludes
- 4:00 p.m. Monday: Registration opens for those staying for the Fall Conference
All members of the Commission on Ministry, the Committee on the Diaconate, the Committee on Priesthood, and the YPI Committee, and six members of the Standing Committee are invited to attend. Please email Vicky Bickel at email@example.com with any questions.
Participants staying for the Fall Conference will need to register separately. Room and board during the Commission on Ministry retreat is free to participants.
Shared Journey: Walking with Emerging Leaders on the Way of Jesus
Retreat Leader: The Rev. Susan Daughtry
Three questions are at the heart of leadership formation for the Church now:
- Missional Practice: How do we form leaders who will function as collaborative practitioners of the way of Jesus?
- Beloved Community: How do we form leaders who will have Beloved Community as the grounding of their theological imagination?
- Sustainable Processes: How can a diocese create formation pathways that will tend the two questions above?
In order to successfully outline ministerial competencies we’ve been working towards, we need to set that work on a sure foundation: What is the theology, the Good News, which informs how the Commission on Ministry lives and moves and has its being?
Our faith communities – and our leaders – require the ability to interpret the story of Jesus as Good News for the culturally complex worlds we inhabit today, and to practice ways of being Church we’ve forgotten. We can’t expect our ordinands to solve problems we ourselves are not wrestling with. How can the experienced and committed leaders on the Commission on Ministry lean into those same questions above, remembering and rediscovering the Way of Jesus in our own lives, as wise guides for those undertaking formation for ordination?
About Susan: As Missioner for Formation in the Episcopal Church in Minnesota (ECMN), the Rev. Susan Daughtry stewards the School for Formationand walks closely with those in formation for Holy Orders. Susan has been at the heart of recent formation innovations in Minnesota and will bring us theological questions, spiritual practices, and new visions for supporting leaders for the Way of Jesus in Virginia today.
Prior to her call to ECMN, Susan served as assistant rector of St. Thomas’, Richmond, as chaplain at Shrine Mont Camps, and was a member of the Standing Committee in the Diocese of Virginia.
217 Shrine Mont Circle
Orkney Springs, VA 22845
(* Denotes Required Fields)