Sexual Misconduct Prevention
The diocesan Commission on the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct hosts workshops throughout the year on the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse and the Prevention of Adult Sexual Misconduct. All church employees (including clergy) and all volunteers who regularly supervise children and youth outside Sunday morning must completed the Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse.
Congregations now have three options to fulfill this requirement:
- Attend one of the scheduled workshops offered by the Commission for the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct. These workshops are free of charge. View the schedule here. Please register for these workshops online.
- Hire a commission certified trainer to lead the workshop at another time and place. Congregations particularly interested in having the workshop in their buildings may wish to use this option. While there are no set fees for the trainers, congregations should expect to pay between $250 and $500 for the workshops. For assistance with locating a certified trainer for a training at your church please contact Cathy Tibbetts at ctibbetts(at)thefallschurch-episcopal(dot)org.
- By having a member of the parish or of the staff become a certified trainer, s/he will be able to lead the workshop in the congregation. Potential trainers need to be nominated by their rectors by writing the co-chairs of the Commission for the Prevention of Sexual Misconduct. They should be people who have been involved in the life of the congregation for at least a year and who have a background check that is satisfactory to the rector. In order to become certified and to maintain their certification they will need to fulfill the following requirements.
- Attend one workshop and meet with the trainer following the workshop.
- Assist a certified trainer in leading a workshop.
- Lead or assist in leading a workshop every year.
- Attend a diocesan refresher workshop every year.